The first time I had seen cucumber on the outside of a sandwich before, I thought it was a clever idea. A clever idea with a stunning result that is very basic to make at home.
Most high tea fare, even though small, can take time to make. For the amount of time and effort that goes into making these pretty cucumber and curd sandwiches, which is none, you end up with an eye-catching sandwich. The perfect addition to a high tea selection.
I use sandwich spread as my “glue” to make the cucumber strips stick to the outside of the curd and cucumber sandwiches. I feel it works best as it matches the bread. It gives the illusion of nothing being there and lets the green of the cucumber stand out.
2 cups curd / dahi / yogurt, thick
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp carrot, grated
½ tsp pepper, crushed
2 tbsp capsicum, finely chopped
2 tbsp corn, boiled
¼ tsp salt
8 slices bread, white/brown
1. Firstly, prepare the hung curd by placing a sieve in a large bowl layered with a cloth. Pour 2 cups of thick curd and tie tight. Alternatively use greek yogurt to skip this step.
2. Refrigerate it for 2 hours or till the curd drops off all water and turns thick. After 2 hours, the curd turns thick and creamy.
3. Add in ¼ cup eggless mayonnaise, some pasta sauce (as per your taste) and mix well. Further add 2 tbsp carrot, 2 tbsp cabbage, 2 tbsp capsicum, 2 tbsp corn, ½ tsp pepper and ¼ tsp salt.
4. Combine well and keep aside. Now cut the sides of 2 bread slices.
5. Using a vegetable peeler slice long thin strips lengthwise from the cucumbers. It is best to avoid using the core of the cucumber, which holds all the seeds. Pat cucumber strips dry with some paper towel.
6. Apply sandwich spread over a slice of bread. Lay the cucumber strips over it, making sure they overlap slightly. Pat them down gently and turn the slice of bread over. The cucumber side becomes the outside of your sandwich.
7. Spread 2 tbsp of prepared curd sandwich stuffing. Cover with cheese slice and then another slice of bread and press gently.
Finally, cut half and serve sandwiches, accompanying with juice or any drink will be great.