A sweet start to the weekend or a sweet finish to the week? You tell
Caramel Custard!! Done right, this is one luscious dessert that you can put together quickly. We ate a lot of custard (both warm and chilled) as post dinner treats growing up. I remember how in winters, the warm bubbly vanilla custard was topped with chopped almonds & raisins while one with the chilled fruits was a summer thing. In the most clumsy way, I always licked that velvety, thick thing from the back of the spoon and it was so gooey and coated every nook of the mouth, Yumm!
It’s a keeper. Top with cut up fruits or nuts. Today I felt like presenting in three different styles; fruits, chocolate, ice cream and it all tasted so well together. It’s quite rich so a little portion is more than enough.
· 4 cup milk
· 3 ½ tbsp vanilla custard powder
· 6 ½ tbsp sugar
· 1 ½ tbsp sugar
· 2 tsp vanilla extract
· 1 orange sliced
· 7-8 glucose biscuits (crushed)
· Vanilla ice cream
· Liquid chocolate
· Fresh mint leaves
1. Line a borosil dish with a layer of crushed biscuits. Dissolve custard powder in half cup of cold milk.
2. Heat the rest of the milk with sugar in a heavy bottom pan. When it starts boiling, lower the flame and add the dissolved custard.
3. Keep stirring and cook on medium heat till it thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Remove from fire and keep aside.
4. For caramel, take another heavy bottom pan. Put 1 ½ tbsp sugar, cook till it becomes liquid and brown. Add 3 tbsp water, mix well and cook on low flame for 1-2 minutes. (Break lumps if any)
5. Add this caramel and vanilla extract in custard and mix well. Set aside till it cools down to room temperature.
6. Pour custard over the biscuits layer. Keep it in refrigerator till it sets properly.
Garnish with fruit/crushed biscuits/liquid chocolate/ice cream as per your choice and serve chilled.