Healthy Beetroot Moong Dal Cheela. Indian savoury pancakes made from beetroot and yellow moong beans which are soaked overnight. So fluffy they melt in the mouth! These Cheelas are protein rich, taste delicious and are super quick to make. Low carb and high protein!
A healthy and nutrient breakfast pancake recipe made with moong dal or split moong beans. It is not only simple and easy to prepare, it can also be prepared within minutes with minimal ingredients like any other cheela recipe. It can be served as it is without any sides but tastes great with green chutney.
1 cup moong dal
1 inch ginger
1 tsp cumin/ jeera
2 tbsp coriander
Pinch of hing/ asafoetida
½ tsp salt
3 tbsp water
oil for roasting
3 tsp oil
1 tsp ginger paste
2 green chillis, finely chopped
¼ cup carrot, finely chopped
¼ cup capsicum, finely chopped
¼ cup sweet corn
¼ cup peas, finely chopped
½ tsp pepper, crushed
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp garam masala
1 cup paneer/ cottage cheese, crumbled
2 tbsp roasted cumin powder, finely chopped
1. Firstly, in a large bowl soak 1 cup moong dal for 3 hours. Drain off the water and transfer to the mixi jar.
2. Also add beetroot, chillis,1 inch ginger and 1 tsp cumin.
3. Blend to smooth paste adding water if required. Transfer the batter to the bowl. Add 2 tbsp coriander, pinch hing and ½ tsp salt.
4. Mix well adding 3 tbsp of water forming thick flowing consistency cheela batter.
5. Further, pour a ladleful of batter onto a hot tawa and spread gently. Pour ½ tsp of olive oil over cheela.
6. Cover and allow cooking on a medium flame for a minute. Now flip the cheela and cook both sides pressing gently.
7. Now spread 2 tbsp of prepared paneer stuffing on half of the cheela. Fold half and roast slightly crisp.
Finally, beetroot moong dal cheela is ready to serve with green chutney and tamarind chutney.